Tattoo Tuesday V.63

 

Name and blog name: Ayden / The Little Blog Of Horrors (www.mydollface.blogspot.com)

Age: 21

Occupation: Freelance Applied Artist for Film, Television and Theatre

Age of first tattoo: 18

Favorite tattoo: My swallows (chest)

Featured tattoo/location: Pocket watch and tiger lillies (side)

Artist/shop/location of feature tattoo: Stephen Kelly at Irezumi, in Glasgow, Scotland. Stephen also did the swallows on my chest, but I lost track of where he was working after then. So, when I found him a couple of tattoos and years later, I knew he was the perfect person to do this piece for me. I sat in on a session while he tattooed one of my best friends at the end of December just there, and promptly booked myself in for his first slot in January!


1) Tell us about your featured tattoo- is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art?
I wanted an image designed round the quote 'remember to live'. I gave Stephen this quote, along with some photographs of old, ornate pocket watches and tiger lillies and this is what he came up with. We only have one life, and living it to the fullest is my number one priority. The lilies in full bloom, and open pocket watch displaying the time of my birth is my representation of this. I feel like we sometimes spend too much time waiting for our life to 'begin', constantly making resolutions and plans but never doing anything about them. Time waits for no one, and for me, this tattoo will always remind me that if I want something enough in life then I should always have the motivation to go out and get it.

2) Do you have any other tattoos?  If so, what do you have and where?

My very first tattoo was a heart shaped locket and key on my forearm. I was 18, and although I knew exactly what I wanted and how much it meant to me, I didn't realise different tattoo artists have different strengths, weaknesses and specialities. I now completely understand what people mean when they say 'a good tattoo ain't cheap, and a cheap tattoo ain't good! A girl who I knew from school many years ago was in her apprenticeship tattooing, and I always knew she was a talented artist so jumped at the chance to get tattooed by her. But unfortunately my first one was far from perfect, and a year later I approached another artist to patch it up a bit, and add 'Irie' underneath. I'll never regret my first tattoo, as it reminds me of turning 18 and a time in my life which I always want to remember.  Adding Irie underneath, reminds me to always stay positive. To respect yourself, and be happy with who you are.


On my 19th birthday I got my Swallows. This caused a bit of an uproar amongst my family and mixed opinions from friends. Lets just say in hindsight, I'm glad my 1st and shaky tattoo is on my arm, and not on my chest!


Just before my 21st birthday, I got a little anchor and diamond on the bottom of each leg. 2010 was a big year for me, and amongst graduating from university, registering as self employed and securing my first contract, turning 21, going travelling around europe over the summer, and moving away from home for the first time... it seemed appropriate to get a little memento to remind me to stay strong and always keep my feet on the ground (amongst the madness and a real year of 'growing up')


3) Do you plan on getting more?
I'm not in the sort of industry where I need to wear smart clothes to work every day and keep a formal appearance, so I guess I'm not limited/restricted in that sense! Sometimes I can imagine myself being covered in tattoos, and then other days I think I'm done with them. I got my first piece of 'hate' on my blog last week, and it was over my tattoos. But other peoples opinions do not hinder me in the slightest - getting tattooed is something I do for MYSELF, and no one else. So I think I will only get more if an idea comes to me which I genuinely feel really excited and inspired about. Hells no to a tattoo just for the sake of it. That's dangerous/regretful territory when it comes to my character... I change my mind like the weather! I do have a couple more ideas in the pipeline, so if I still have them in my head in a year or so, we'll see what happens.

4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)?  Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them? Do you have a significant other? Does he/she have tattoos? 

I really don't like the fact that people assume you are a certain kind of person because you have tattoos. It sucks to be judged in that way, but I guess that's just our society. The only adversity I have experienced because of them is through my blog, which is absolutely ridiculous, and doesn't offend me because the anon who wrote it clearly doesn't know ME. I don't mind folks having an opinion on them, but I don't think I need to justify my taste or reasoning to anonymous haters on the internet! But luckily the people whose opinion I do really care about, my friends and family, has always been a positive/supportive one. Yeah the initial 'HOLY CRAP!" from my parents - but even my grandparents admitted they like them and couldn't imagine me without them now. My boyfriend doesn't have any tattoos, but he does appreciate a nice tattoo and has always been supportive and honest about mines.


5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?
Don't rush into anything! I know its so easy to get caught up in the excitement and rush of booking your first (or even fifth or sixth!) tattoo. But you really need to take your time, and don't sign up to such a big commitment until the idea has been in your head for at least 4-5 months (that's just my opinion!) So you know that you are positively sure about it. I figure that even if I regret the overall design or look of my tattoos one day when I'm grey and old, they will still mean something to me because they remind me of a certain time in my life that I want to remember. Different artists have different areas of expertise, so do your research and try to find someone that would be perfect for the piece you're looking to get done.


Category Article
Powered by Blogger.