Papa Said V.5

papa said

This week's Papa Said comes from one of the sweetest mamas in all of internet land, Mandy of Harper's Happenings! Her daughter, Harper, often makes me want to have a daughter next with her doe eyes and infectious little smile. She's such a doll, and you can see why- Mandy and her husband Scot are dolls too (sorry, Scot).  But really, they're great, and Mandy's blog is always so fun to read- full of witty anecdotes, funny one-liners, great photos, and an overall welcome feeling that is sure to make any reader feel right at home. Thanks Mandy and Scott for being a part of Sometimes Sweet today!


My husband Scot (Scot with one T, as I refer to him on the regular) is the greatest guy I could have ever asked for. Two and half years ago he became the best daddy my daughter Harper could have asked for. He works hard to make sure we are safe and taken care of, which means more than I can really say here! He's super funny, sweet, caring and he loves to take care of us, his girls. When he comes home from work, he barely gets out of his work clothes before he's rolling around on the ground playing with Harper. He has always been super helpful, but these toddler years really suit him. I can see how much he enjoys his time with her being crazy and enjoying all the silliness that two year olds bring. He's superdad in my book!


So...My name is Scot and recently I was asked by my wife Mandy if I wanted to share some advice on being a dad with total strangers. She eventually convinced me that it wasn't nearly as creepy as it sounded, so I agreed. We've been married for almost 5 years and have a 2 year old daughter named Harper. Here are some things that I've learned along the way:

1) Treat your kids like humans - I always talk to kids like they're adults. Early on I did it because I thought it was funny to discuss things like religion with someone that most likely had a load in their pants, but after a while you realize just how much they can comprehend. A better level of understanding between one another helps in many areas. You help them develop their own personality, establish a mutual respect for each other, and you can get them to say things like "that's a problem" when you run out of graham crackers.

2) Work hard/Play hard - When Mandy and I became parents we both were working. The plan was always for Mandy to return to work at some point just for financial reasons, but once we had Harper something changed. We decided that we were going to do everything we could so that she could stay home and raise our new daughter. With a lot of hard work we've been able to make it work. It requires a lot of long days and it has added some additional stresses to both of us, but I wouldn't have it any other way. But you've got to leave work at work. Find a way to leave leave it at the door, because your family is the reason you work hard. You don't want to let your job get in the way of getting to know your kids.

3) If mama ain't happy, no one's happy - Boys, take care of your girls. They are the nervous system of your family. Plus, you have to know that if she goes down, you're screwed. So it's always in your best interest to keep mama smiling. I shouldn't need to tell you how to make them happy. You married them, you figure it out.


Category Article
Powered by Blogger.